Friday, September 28, 2007

Week 4: Sept 24 - 28

This week's verse is Luke 2:11a "Today your Saviour was born in the town of David."

This week in History: The Sumerians c5000BC - 2000BC.
Mapping Sumer
The Invention of Writing
Crafts and Trade / Kings and War

Monday:
Today we studied the invention of writing of the Sumerians in Mesopotamia. First Noah used his own stylus and a playdough tablet to make symbols of a bird, wheat, and bull. Then he learned how to write his name in cuneiform.







Tuesday we were able to go to the library -just the two of us- for an hour and a half. I'm trying to do this once a week because it is so wonderful for us. We get to have time together without interruptions or distractions and we get so much done.



Wednesday, one day in the week where we don't have to be anywhere. Today while the girls napped, Noah and I did run an errand (Josh is working from home this week.) We picked up our Juan Manigault signs, bumper stickers and t-shirt and signed up for our door-to-door efforts to help his campaign for mayor. In history we've been studying how early civilizations grew into towns and cities and eventually get big enough for a leader, so I tied that in with the Mayoral race here in town.



Thursday is Adventure Club! I don't think I've discribed what goes on here. It's the children's midweek program at our church. I grew up with AWANA in the church of my youth. Adventure club is not quite so rigorous with the Bible verse memorization as AWANA was when I was young, but then I've heard that AWANA has really lightened it's requirements in recent years. I feel it is vital for our children to memorize scripture. Our church does have quizzing and our youth group has done some amazing things with that, so when Noah is old enough we want him to get into quizzing. Anyway, I digress. Adventure club is a time for the kids to get together, play games, say their memory verse review the Bible lesson and values and be mentored. Noah really loves it. Bronwen is in Church Mice which is the program for the pre-schoolers. She loves it too and can often be heard at home pretending she is driving to "class." I catch Noah and Bronwen playing 'church' sometimes instead of playing house. I love it!



Friday this week was project day. We were supposed to go on a field trip to Grissom Air Reserve Base Museum, but it was postponed - possibly to next week. So instead we got out the pottery wheel and Noah created his first little pot. If you know Noah and how much he dislikes getting his hands messy, you'll know what a big deal this was for him.















I haven't said much about Math, but it is currently Noah's favorite subject. He's been working on simple addition and subtraction so far. He's so serious about doing his math homework. He can already count to 100+ by 1s and 10s forward and backward and is very comfortable with number placement. This coming week we'll be starting to work on counting by 5s, telling time on an analogue clock and counting money. By then I'll probably have more interesting worksheets to show you.





This week in Science: Moving in water

1 comment:

Jayme said...

Oh, I love every minute of it. You sound like such a wonderful teacher. He must enjoy everything you're teaching, because it doesn't feel like learning it is so fun...I can't wait to see the little pot. Way cool!